Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labeling - FTC response

2003-12-01 16:54:22
Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>:

I received some feedback from the FTC today. As it stands right now, the FTC has only begun preliminary analysis of the bill. Since this particular report on filtering has an 18 months deadline, work has not begun on it yet. When the FTC begins working on this report, input from the IETF and the ASRG will be solicited.

Good.  Then the right time to standards-track a labeling RFC is *now*,
so we'll have it in hand with a decent amount of community review when
FTC comes knocking.

This goal is not exclusive of other RFCs or findings.  The fact that
"input from the IETF and the ASRG will be solicited" means we MUST
have a constructive response in *addition* to whatever else we do, or
lose future influence on the interpretation and implementation of
CAN-SPAM.

[..]

I'm volunteering to be the point guy on this.  The issue interests me, and my
public fame might turn out to be a useful tool when it comes time to talk
the FTC and Congress out of peeing in the proposal so they'll like the
flavor better.  We're at particular risk of that here because the issue
has little technical depth, increasing the risk that some bureacrat will
think he understands the background issues enough to "improve" an RFC.  (The
most likely attempted "improvement" will be a more elaborate classification
system.)

Let me reiterate that I do not view this effort as competitive with
any of the other proposals on the table (LMAP, callback, pull, MTA
labeling, whatever) but as complementary with them.

Those of you with interest in this issue, please work with me to
improve the draft.

What is the next step? If I'm reading RFC2026 correctly, it would be publishing my proposal as an Internet-Draft with a view to having it
accepted as a Proposed Standard.

We can publish the draft as an Internet draft via the group, I will discuss that with John. The goal here would be to start a discussion on the issue. If a filtering subgroup is created, this will end up there probably.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Why are both drug addicts and computer aficionados both called users?" (Clifford Stoll)
-------