Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS + PKI - Yahoo's "Domain Keys"

2003-12-07 13:14:28
Add'l problems already evident:
1)Not an open standard (not a standard at all.)
2)Not even a press release about it at http://promo.yahoo.com/pressroom/releases.html - I searched for a while; the ONLY source for any info seems to be a Reuters article !!! I see no evidence that the software that the article mentions even exists. Yahoo isn't claimed to be offering it free to proprietary developers.
3)Makes deniability more difficult than LMAP (mostly a good thing).
4)Requires all authorized SMTP servers have new software, be configured to use it and the domain's secret key, AND be secure. I could implement an LMAP scheme today; I couldn't implement anything based on Yahoo's idea, even if it was fully specified because I don't have admin rights to any of the various SMTP servers used to send email for my domain. 5)Yahoo lacks credibility in the antispam community because of its bad reputation.

Here's someone's blog entry reviewing the proposal:
http://www.megacity.org/blog/archives/001288.php