Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS + PKI - Yahoo's "Domain Keys"

2003-12-07 15:00:30
Philip Miller wrote:
[..]

DK advantages: prevents forgery in forwarded situations, such as if a mailing list owner inserts a forged message on the list. DK disadvantages: high burden of software implementation, requires receipt of DATA before an authoritative check can be done

The DATA problem can be solved with an ESMTP extension or some creative use of MAIL FROM AUTH extension.

BUT, I want you all to consider one more possibility - digital signatures implies digital keys, digital keys imply digital certificates. Another advantage of this approach is that the public key of the sending system can be signed by someone else. While DNS limits packet size (512 bytes for UDP), it is not unfeasible to have an external system with a database of digital keys signed by that authority. Sounds like a "Trusted Sender" approach that was proposed by Project Lumos.

Having the ability of someone else vouch for a domain, is another advantage of this approach (DK) over LMAP, although the possibility of spammers getting on the "approved" listed fraudently and centralized power problems, are issues.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------