[Asrg] 4a. Taxonomy. Censorship vs. filtering

2003-12-12 15:16:34
  For those who are don't read long messages, I'd like to summarize my
thoughts in a short message.

  Censorship =~ rejection of traffic based on content

  filtering =~ rejection of traffic based on invalid control messages

  Unlike Telecom, IP sends control traffic "in-band".  This means that
when that control traffic is filtered, people get confused, and call
it "censorship".

  It's not censorship to put a notch filter at 2600Hz on payphones.

  It's not censorship to block traffic from 127/8 on the backbone.

  Both filters block invalid control signals from propagating
throughout the network.  Most users have no business sending such
signals.

  Put another way, control signals are only permitted through prior
business arrangements, which are negotiated outside of the network.
People who don't have those business arrangements are called
"customers", not "peers".  They have no business (literally) sending
control signals.  Such false signals are called "attacks", or "abuse
of the network".

  Alan DeKok.