Re: [Asrg] 4a. Taxonomy. Censorship vs. filtering

2003-12-13 10:09:35
denny(_at_)figuerres(_dot_)com wrote:
If you can be shown to Edit and control the publishing of content then you
can be sued for what content you chose to publish and for what content you
chose not to publish.

  Exactly.  This is why I've pushed for our corporate IT people to
block distribution of usenet porn groups into the company for the
*correct* reason: It uses too much bandwidth.  Other newsgroups
distributing executables are blocked for the same reason.

  If we had blocked it because it was "porn", then we could be held
responsible for censoring it, and a huge legal quagmire opens up.

Alan: are we close here? I hope we are on the same line of reason on
this....

  Pretty much.

  I think I'll add these definitions to the LMAP discussion paper, in
place of the rant about "free speech".  The issues have to be
addressed, but it's better to address them in a positive manner than
in a negative one.

  Alan DeKok.