Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: LMAP - Forwarding Comment and Recommended Changes

2003-12-15 09:27:55

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Philip Miller wrote:

Jon Kyme wrote:
envelope from and decode for bounces.

Would it be useful to consider rfc3461 ENVID in this context?
I don't know how wide support for this is (is there any?).

I'm not too familiar with this. I'll read it later today.

With respect to the question: Is there any support for ENVID?
Looking on google, it seems that many MTAs support it.

I found positive references to support for ENVID by:

    Sendmail (8.8+)
    Courrier
    PMDF
    zmailer
    MH
    qmail

This last is significant, since qmail's VERP is a substitute for ENVID
proposed when DJB considered support for ENVID insufficiently widespread.
I found references to security holes in the ENVID support by:

    MS Exchange
    Lotus Domino

so they must support it, too. I did find a newsgroup posting from someone
saying that POSTFIX did not support ENVID - the only MTA I found such
information about.

Sendmail supports ENVID from the sendmail command line with the "-V"
option.

I haven't tested any of these, but note that ENVID is documented in
rfc1891, so it is not a new feature. The update in 3461 only fixes the
character set and size.

Daniel Feenberg