Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS + PKI - Yahoo's "Domain Keys"

2003-12-17 14:12:56
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:05:07PM -0800, Mark Baugher wrote:
It would not verify if the signature design was secure.  That is,
one should not sign a piece of the message that could be cut and
pasted in this way.  I have not seen anything about the signing
proposal to suggest that they were doing this or even signing SMTP
trace record.

So yes, the problem you describe is a problem that's caused by a
poor signature design.

The problem is that I yet have to see a signature design that will work
and that will not be broken by a sufficiently large number of mailservers/
features out there.

What gets signed is an open question.  This does not strike me as
an insurmountable problem.

:-) IMHO exactly this is the problem that hasn't been solved yet.

I think of each message sent as a separate mail transaction that will
have a separate signature applied by the mail submission agent.

What is the advantage then?
I know who I am talking to directly. So the sending MTA doesn't need the
hassle to sign the message. The MTAs could simply use TLS or a key
exchange. The advantage of the signing is that I - as the receiver -
can validate the signing of the original sender or - that would be fine -
of all intermediate hosts.
Other than that it's pretty worthless, IMHO.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299