Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Bayesian filtering and Yahoo (Was Re: C/R)

2003-12-29 13:08:39

On 12/26/2003 1:05 PM, Philip Miller sent forth electrons to convey:

In terms of total computation necessary, sure, Bayesian is more expensive than just about anything else. However, keep in mind relative costs: bayesian filtering is often happening on the users' desktops, or on a private mailserver where the load doesn't affect any public services. Have you heard of any large corporations or ISPs setting up individual Bayesian filters for each user and rejecting mail at the MX using those filters? I certainly haven't.

Data point: Yahoo is trying and failing. To PAYING customers of MailPlus ( http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/ , it includes SBC DSL and dial-up customers) they claim you can "Train your personal spam filters to recognize what /you/ consider spam" using the SpamGuard feature. Except it doesn't work: when I try to train it on more than a handful of spam at a time, it just times out. Yahoo Level 2 support worked on it for a few weeks and claimed it was fixed, but it is still broken (it fails to process/delete/train on the spam); they're supposed to be working on it again. I did so and I still get about a dozen spam a day to my yahoo account. After training on > 1000 spam, I still get about a dozen spam a day to my yahoo account inbox. Caveat: nothing I've read specifically states that spamguard is Bayesian, so it could be something else.