[Asrg] 6. Proposals - C/R and "callbacks"

2003-12-26 11:49:37
At 12:00 PM 2003/12/24 -0500, you wrote:

>  From my very simplistic view of the email systems it seems to me that
> the msgid id could be part of the verification mechanism.   The
> originating MTA stamps the outgoing email with a unique message id.
> Once the header portion of the email is received then the recipient MTA
> does a name lookup on the originating MTA and verifies that the
> originating MTA sent that msgid.  Once the receipient MTA finishes
> accepting the email the originating MTA then never uses that msgid again.

This approach is outlined by William Elan (he calls it "callback"):
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg-emailpathverification-presentation.pdf
This is also mentioned in the CRI proposal (level 2):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-asrg-cri-00.txt

Thanks for the URLs.  I'll review those

This basic argument against this is that it is very resource intensive,
with a lot of extra costs such as more powerful servers that can handle
callbacks, more bandwidth, and extra disk space to store IDs.

More powerful servers? Well sure but what are we doing now to handle spam with word and Bayesian etc filtering along with RBL lookups? In addition the msgid would only be verified by the receiving MTA when the sending MTA is actually sending the email header info. So the msgid is already in RAM thus no cost to do a disk I/O to retrieve information.

More bandwidth? If this kind of thing cuts spam by a significant margin that's a good tradeoff. Also the network traffic is only as many bytes as the msgid plus some overhead along with the ack by the transmitting MTA. Along with retrieving the IP address of the sending MTA from the domain name in the email header.

Disk space?  Every email currently has, or should have, a unique msgid.

There are
also DOS issues: someone forging a domain can cause the forged domain to
go under with too many callbacks.

DOS could happen today with someone sending lots of emails to a given receiving MTA.

There are privacy issues as well, and
possible replay attacks.

I don't see the privacy issues here.    Replay attack?  Same as a DOS.

However, the bottom line here, is that why go through the trouble of
checking every single message. Granted that it increases costs,
nevertheless if we can significantly reduce the problem through
verification of MTAs as opposed to senders and messages, why go through
the extra costs of message verification. This proposal is on the table,
but we will pursue it only if a significant advantage vs. costs can be
proven for this way of doing things, over others requiring less costs.

Ok, this makes sense. But if I understand the proposals the public key will be retained by the DNS servers. Thus increasing the load on those servers. Mind you they would be cached by your "closest" DNS server so that wouldn't be too bad.

Tony
-----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
   http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm