Re: [Asrg] 0. General - idea to reduce problems with message content.

From: "Vinny" <compwiz24(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>
Date:  Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:35:45 -0600

Yeah, I was thinking much the same thing recently. The real problem though,
is not the fact that we have HTML mail, but that images embedded in HTML
mail are sourced from a web site, and that the web site catalogs what images
are accessed, therefore showing which email addresses are active. And your
suggestion that we have no images in email... well, can you imagine what the
public outcry would be against that? Joe Sixpack wants his images, and so do
various e-tailors like barnes and noble, amazon, etc.

A better idea would probably be to include the images inside the email as an
attachment, as you suggested.

I was thinking though, what about a whole new page description language?
HTML has always seemed a bit wasteful to me, since you have to go explicitly
set values like SRC, HREF, etc. What about something like <b14i>NARF</>,
where the first character in the opening tag represents the color (bLUE),
the next two the text size (14), the next character the font weight
(iTALIC)?

why html:

we already have the tools to edit,format,compress, transalet,print and so on
with html. why re-invent the wheel....?
and using the html basis and the ready-made tools menas that lots of apps can
support the changes I mention with very small effort.

this means that nothing is broken. any app can support it.
so time to adopt and bariers to adopting are almost none.

and if done right, and widely adopted it would be a way to deal with the
spammers, yank the financial and other stuff....

any user could choose to toss html as trash and only read "new format name"
email that passes validation tests.

that means that sure you can send me junk messages in a fancy format.
but you cant verify my email address, and you cant trojan me  and you cant
trick me ....
so the spamer who gets paid today for folks opening the email and not buying
anything just lost that income... :-)

Interesting line of thinking. I'd love to see this thread end up to becoming
a project.....

-Vinny