Re: [Asrg] 0.General - News Articles

2004-02-04 16:02:21

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

<snip>

What always amazes me is how much the politicians are willing to talk about the problem, but not too many are willing to give cold hard cash to law enforcement agencies. The FTC in the US estimates that over 70% of spam is fraudulent and can be enforced under existing laws. Yes, Congress has not given extra money to do so.

Unfortunately, as has been frequently discussed, evil spammers seem to dominate bulk commercial email. They hide behind zombie proxies and use underground networks to spew their garbage. Therefore zombies are a mechanism that needs to be curtail first and this is an enforcement issue, not a government policy issye. The need is for someone (who?) to track zombies and then get ISP's to block. This is a difficult chore.

My own personal experiences and data collected at my SMTP server, confirm the severity of the zombie issue. While, I recognize my experiences are not necessarily universal, more general data is hard to find. This is what I've found at my site.

1. Installing a homebrewed simple greylist filter dropped my spam rate from about 65/day to 7-8/day and gave me the ability to gather some stats. I'll accept mail from anyone who will retry with the same IP address after two minutes of rejection.

2. In the last fourteen days I was visited by 4312 grey listed hosts. 3864 made just one attempt at delivery and when rejected, they never came back (using that IP address). Apparently, retries where attempted, but new IP addresses were used. The 3864 unique attempts came in 818 batches (tries in less than one minute) with an average of 4.7 attempts per each batch.

3. The cost, to spammers, of a failed delivery must be cheaper than the cost of pruning a mailing list. The stats remained relatively stable even after 40 days of graylisting.

Harry Tabak
Quad Telecom, Inc.