Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services (personal RMX)

2004-02-11 16:09:51

I have been of the opinion since late 2002 that DNS would make perfect sense
as the way to distribute *PERSONAL* (not per-domain) RMX information.

Furthermore I think Verisign (who has at least two people who read this list) would be the perfect entity to unilaterally initiate such a project, since they
(some of them, at least) would like to see everyone have a personal domain.

Personal RMX information in your personal domain.   Or at least
a protocol for listing personal RMX information with the domain of which
you are a member:  when your e-mail addy is you(_at_)your(_dot_)dom your RMX
host listings would appear under d.c.b.a.you.rmx.your.domain where a.b.c.d
are the dotted-quad IPv4 addresses of the hosts you use.

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I would add that the use of DNS for distributing RBL information has a
remarkable breadth of support covering all major open source and
proprietary MTAs, and could better be held up as a model for imitation,
rather than carping about minor shortcomings.

The other information point here is that there has been
a lot of work on Web Services and WSDL and WS-Policy and
that can all be run back to the DNS through appropriate
syntax modifications.

Would there be a benefit to the community:
1. Codifying the existing BCPs, protocols and formats in use.
2. Researching future possible formats and protocols.

Yakov