Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-10 18:00:17
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Second problem that I have is the use of 127.xxx IP addresses for this. This
is really not something that should be done via IP addresses, a custom SRV,
RR or TXT record would server a much better purpose.

As I understand it, the primary reason the use of "A" records isn't going away
any time soon is because they can be accessed with the BSD 4.3
gethostbyname() function call. Access to other record types requires some
other API, and there's no other API as broadly deployed.

A push for standard semantics across blacklists will encounter more political
barriers than technical, I think, but it's worth discussing. If you want to
introduce new RR types, then bear in mind that they'll have to coexist with
"A" records for some time as a matter of practicality.

Note also that many blacklists already use TXT records to hold URI pointers to
further information on the listing.

Regards,
TFBW