Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-11 11:21:20

On Feb 11, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Seth Breidbart wrote:

Accreditation to me involves an official, recognizable entity
certifying that the party in question meets some sort of standard.
This accrediting entity should be widely recognized as being able to
provide this sort of assessment without need for corroborating
support.

"official" according to whom?  "widely recognized" among whom?

Well that's the rub, eh? The validity of an accrediting entity is always questionable. If you look at most accreditations in meatspace, you end up with the same issue. In general, unless the accrediting entity is granted there powers legally, the legitimacy of such an entity rests with the community.

Reputation is a less-formal aggregate measure formed from the
collective opinion of a community.

Defined how?

Where would you place something like SPEWS?  It seems to me that just
about all of the interesting cases don't meet either of those
definitions.

Well, why do all cases have to fall into those two categories? I would say that SPEWS is neither. It certainly is not an accreditor, as

a) it does not certify anyone
b) it bills itself only as a reporting service, not a policy service

I don't think it's a reputation system either, though you could make the claims that they provide a gateway into a reputation service (since the accumulate reports and make listing judgements based on the aggregated info) or that the public dnsrbls collectively form a reputation service.

I see SPEWS as a watchdog group, which is a third type of system. BondedSender is probably the closest thing to an 'accreditor' for email.

George