Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-09 14:22:18
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:09:38PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
2. Is it feasible for such format to be feature rich
providing more data
than a simple yes/no. Meng Wong of SPF proposed on his list a
while back
something like how many messages sent by MTA, how many were
spam, etc.,  akin to what SenderBase does.
[...]
I think it is better to simply use the standard A pointer blacklist type
hack and then have a metadata record that tells the filter how it thinks the
information should be interpreted.

3. Can this be supplemented by accrediation formats and protocols?

Yes, but the volumes of mail are large, you probably don't want to do more
than DNS lookup in the first pass.

A trivial implementation of this would be one where the blacklist
returns 127.0.0.[0-100] as their percentage of certainty that the source
is a spammer.

The local tools can then multiply that percentage by their 'how much I
trust blacklist provider X' factor.

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!