Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-11 10:07:17

Not exactly the question asked by Yakov, but mainly about what RBLs will be.

If I look at our mail server who's sending spam, I can see that most of them are doing only very few connections a day : one, two or three. Very few gateways do more than five connections. - I'm talking about a mailserver with some thousand users and about 50 K connections a day.

This may indicate that many spam is sent by a distributed system of workers, and not by open relays.

If this is the case, and if this kind of way continues - the tendance will be to have more and more IP addresses to be inserted on blacklists.

Also, the time some particular IP address will be used by spammers have chances to be shorter than the address of an open relay.

The possible consequence is that the number of addresses may explode.

Nowadays, list.dsbl.org has 2100000 (two million and a hundred thousand) addresses.

Is it reasonable to consider that there isn't a limit on the number of IP addresses on a blacklist ?

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
I would like to pose a question to the group. The IP address of the incoming MTA is the only sure thing that we possess today that cannot be easily spoofed (BGP attacks aside). There are numerous blacklist and reputation services out there that carry and store information about IP addresses. With an LMAP-type proposal like DRIP, this information can also be keyed by domain name.

All of this implies that reputation services such as blacklists will continue to exist. However, a major problem has been with these services is that they provide a binary yes/no answer. Many commercial ISPs would like to make the decisions themselves. Filters such as SpamAssasin would probably be better off basing data on a larger scale than a simple yes or no.

Taking all of this into account, I ask the following:
1. Is it feasible to develop a standard format and protocols for storing and quering data from reputation services? 2. Is it feasible for such format to be feature rich providing more data than a simple yes/no. Meng Wong of SPF proposed on his list a while back something like how many messages sent by MTA, how many were spam, etc., akin to what SenderBase does.
3. Can this be supplemented by accrediation formats and protocols?
4. Would any of this improve blacklists?
5. Would all of this reduce spam?

Feel free to forward this message to other lists, and NANAE.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------

 Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
 Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
 60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
mailto:Jose-Marcio(_dot_)Martins(_at_)ensmp(_dot_)fr