Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-12 03:31:33
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 20:02, Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

This may indicate that many spam is sent by a distributed system of
workers, and not by open relays.

If this is the case, and if this kind of way continues - the tendance
will be to have more and more IP addresses to be inserted on blacklists.

From our experience, great majority of today's spam comes from a
distributed system of *zombies*, i.e. home and office workstations that
where trojened by some kind of virus.  Because this set of dangerous
machines is very dynamic (new ones get infected, old ones are healed by
antivirus programs), I think that blacklist approach is not effective
and should not be used to address this problem.

OTOH, LMAP looks very promising against this kind of trouble, if widely
deployed.

Eugene