Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-12 02:02:39
Alan DeKok wrote:
Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-Marcio(_dot_)Martins(_at_)ensmp(_dot_)fr>
wrote:

If I look at our mail server who's sending spam, I can see that most of them are doing only very few connections a day : one, two or three. Very few gateways do more than five connections. - I'm talking about a mailserver with some thousand users and about 50 K connections a day.

This may indicate that many spam is sent by a distributed system of workers, and not by open relays.

  I've been seeing that for ~4 years now: 100's to 1000's of machines
originating spam.  Lately, though, it's been hitting 10k IP's.

Is it reasonable to consider that there isn't a limit on the number of IP addresses on a blacklist ?

  Hard drives are cheap.  2^32 is a comparitively small number nowadays.

  The larger problem is that th eblacklists may well end up listing
20-50% of the IP's on the net.  That's another issue, which won't be
solved by blacklists.

We may consider switching from blacklist to whitelist or "mixed list".

Mixed list:
if IP itself is listed then return its status
if IP is located in "bad neighborhood" the return "bad IP"
return "good IP"

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip http://anfi.freeshell.org backup:
anfi(_at_)xl(_dot_)wp(_dot_)pl