Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-09 17:20:06
On 2/9/2004 2:34 PM, Yakov Shafranovich sent forth electrons to convey:

Matthew Elvey wrote:

On 2/9/2004,Yakov Shafranovich sent forth electrons to convey:

All of this implies that reputation services such as blacklists will continue to exist. However, a major problem has been with these services is that they provide a binary yes/no answer.

This is incorrect; several BLs already provide a variety of answers.

Would there be a value to creating a standard protocol and format for such data?

My plate is full, but I think so. Exact definitions of what an open relay, or a dial-up IP, or a spamming IP is differ, but a standard protocol and form could still be useful http://mail-abuse.com/rbl+/ uses a bitwise binary scheme. I'd guess Paul Vixie/MAPS set the defacto standard of using 127/8 ips.