Re: [Asrg] 2. Improving Blacklists and Reputation Services

2004-02-11 07:16:12
Walter Dnes wrote:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:01:59PM -0500, Yakov Shafranovich wrote

Second problem that I have is the use of 127.xxx IP addresses
for this.  This is really not something that should be done via
IP addresses, a custom SRV, RR or TXT record would server a much
better purpose.

  Don't forget that the internet is global, and there are many languages
and character sets for that matter.  Should TXT messages be in English
or Chinese ?  Which character set ?  Please justify.  On the other hand,
numeric codes, in the form of an IP address can be interpreted in any
language.

A new RR with its own format or a TXT record with its own format. I am not talking about a free form format, rather something like LMAP.

What I am basically trying to figure out is whether taking the entire mix of DNSBLs outthere with all of their various response codes, formats, etc. and standardazing it would help.

We should explore other protocols beside DNS for exchanging this data.

  If we can find a better mousetrap, by all means.  The major advantage
of DNSbls is that they can be implemented without basic changes in the
infrastructure.  That is a problem that has caused grief with many
anti-spam proposals.

For major ISPs, bulk transfer of data might be better. To avoid DDOS, P2P might be better. There are other cases.

I am actually looking at things like SenderBase and SpamCop

  Puh-lease, not Spamcop and SenderBase.  Those two are are absolute
jokes...
  In other words, those two are the absolute last DNSbls I would use.
They are great for setting up strawman arguments about why DNSbls are
bad, but I wouldn't use them on my incoming email.  SPEWS produces less
collateral damage, fer-cryin-out-loud.

Its a strawman - I am not refering to the use of them, rather to the data the main systems provide. ISPs can use such data to make their own decisions rather than relying on the BL operator to do it for them.

Yakov

P.S. My company's ISP uses SpamCop, so I know first hand exactly how much damage it is causing. So far efforts to drop it, haven't been successful :(

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"But in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes" (Benjamin Franklin)
-------