Re: [Asrg] Re: S/MIME

2004-03-21 15:08:29
How can a registrar be "spam friendly"?

- The registrar may actually *be* a spammer.  I've seen it said that
   paycenter.com.cn is an example, and what I've found on the subject
   certainly doesn't disagree.

- They may fail to nuke spamemr domains once they are noticed and
   pointed out to them.  (Such failure was recently almost universal.
   This is changing.)

- They may fail to make even rudimentary checks on the information
   provided.  For example, I once saw a spammer domain registered with
   country=US, state=Madrid.  I've seen spammer domains registered to
   postal addresses containing no letter but X, repeated many times
   over.

- They may do pink contracts, or ignore complaints, or any of the
   various other ways that any organization can be spam-friendly.

They are not required to do any checking at all on registrations, so
I am not sure how that would be defined.

They are not required to do any checking, no, but they are not
prohibited from, either.  Failing to take reasonable antispam steps
(even if not strictly required to) counts as spam-friendly in most
other contexts (ISPs, webhosters, etc); I don't see why it wouldn't for
domain registrars too.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca