Re: [Asrg] trojans in the IETF ?

2004-03-30 16:20:04

--On 12. mars 2004 14:54 +0000 Tom Petch
<nwnetworks(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com> wrote:

I just got an unwanted e-mail offering an improvement in performance
directed to several IETF lists namely
gsmp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, hubmib-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
hubmib(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,  iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
idr-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, idr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
ieprep-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Three things puzzle me. I am subscribed to more than one of these lists
but only received the mail on idr - why the inconsistency?

I guess the others were blocking nonsubscriber mails....

Second, the e-mail contains a check saying hits 8.4 required 5 so  why did
it get sent it at all?

Spamassassin is run in test mode - mark, but do not block. Switching to blocking mode is being considered, but people wanted experience with the rate of false positives. (note - it seems to be low)

And, I extracted enough of the header to identify the mail and sent it off
to idr-admin to get back a message saying blocked by s p a m control; err
yes, the IETF can send it to me but I cannot tell the IETF what they are
doing.

Some individual mailboxes at IETF secretariat utilize mailblocking, even while the list does not..... I'm not even sure idr-admin is at the secretariat; it might be the list moderators (often the WG chairs).

Explanations, especially conspiracy theories, appreciated.

sad to disappoint :-)