[Asrg] trojans in the IETF ?

2004-03-12 08:04:08
I just got an unwanted e-mail offering an improvement in performance
directed to several IETF lists namely
gsmp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, hubmib-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
hubmib(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,  iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
idr-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, idr(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org,
ieprep-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

Three things puzzle me. I am subscribed to more than one of these lists but
only received the mail on idr - why the inconsistency?

Second, the e-mail contains a check saying hits 8.4 required 5 so  why did
it get sent it at all?

And, I extracted enough of the header to identify the mail and sent it off
to idr-admin to get back a message saying blocked by s p a m control; err
yes, the IETF can send it to me but I cannot tell the IETF what they are
doing.

Explanations, especially conspiracy theories, appreciated.

Tom Petch