RE: [Asrg] 3b. SMTP Verification - Reputation/Accreditation Services - Problem Statement

2004-03-12 08:52:02

Philip Miller [mailto:millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net] wrote:

Tom Thomson wrote:
I think they are attempting to address the problem of recognizing
non-spam
as non-spam.  They don't address any particular sort of spam, they
merely
tell us that certain people are accredited as non-spammers according to
the
service managers' definition of non-spammer.

That would be a broken reputation system. Any honest reputation system
should have hard, definite rules for inclusion, with no element of
subjectivity. This will quite intentionally include 'legitimate' spammers,
who can then be filtered by a blacklist that references some well-known
accreditation system. Any spammer who registers his mail immediately
becomes
identifiable and filterable. Any spammer (or non-compliant regular sender)
who doesn't register gets filtered out because they have no reputation on
record anywhere.

What do you mean by "subjectivity"?  Are you are saying that there are
greater elements of subjectivity if the service manager publishes a
definition than if he fails to do so?  I can't see what else what you wrote
can mean, but I also can't actually believe you really meant that.

Why is the system broken if the person running it publishes definitions?
Surely it would be more broken if there were no definitions provided?

Why does an accreditation service have to include all emailers?  If I have
have hard rules for inclusion, surely those hard rules can exclude people?
If they can't, the "hard rules"  you say the system must have are actually
impotent and there's no point in having them.

[snip]
Legislation is not within the scope of this group, and with good reason:
the
Internet is international, and so must be any _technical_ solution to the
spam problem. There is no possibility of an international convention
defining and outlawing spam any time soon.

depends what you mean by "international".  There have been attempts to get
US/EU agreement on the topic, but they have failed because the US side
doesn't want to do anything that might actually stop the spammers from
spamming.  The EU seems to be quite successful in promoting bilateral
agreements on this topic with countries other than the US.  Agreements
withing the EU and bilateral agreements between the EU and other parties are
"international" by most definitions of the term.

Tom