Re: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2004-03-30 16:43:58
At 4:48 PM -0400 2003/10/24, Alan DeKok wrote:

   My concern is that I don't see a requirement that SMTP should solve
 all of the worlds problems.  I understand that SMTP should not
 *remove* peoples privacy and anonymity.  But there is no requirement
 (and there SHOULD be no requirement) that SMTP creates privacy and
 anonymity, where there was none before.

The problem is that the SMTP protocol exists, and in its current form, there are a number of "features" which can be extracted. We're here to try to address some of these "features", which have manifested themselves as spam. However, there are other groups in the world that have become dependant on some of these features (which may or may not overlap with the "spam" features).

If we're going to talk about changing the SMTP protocol, or how we recommend that people administrate their mail servers which operate under the SMTP protocol, we need to be aware of these other uses of the protocol, and we need to be explicit in how our suggested changes may impact these other uses.

   Further, I believe that the emotional appeal to human rights workers
 is inappropriate in a professional forum.  Arguments of the form "If
 you're for proposal X, then you're for killing people!" should be
 explicitly outside of the scope of ASRG.

I didn't say "If you're for proposal X, then you're for killing people!" That is an unwarranted and inappropriate mis-representation of my statement.

What I said was "Would you be willing to bet your life on that?" This is a very different statement.

We're talking about making changes to the SMTP protocol (or the implementation thereof) which could have a profound effect on the lives of people around the world.

Many people's lives could literally be at stake here, and no one has given any consideration to how they could be affected by the kinds of things we're talking about.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be>