Re: [Asrg] Re: Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP? (various)

2004-04-19 16:45:56
gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:
No, not a fellow victim; a negligent abuse-enabler

Perhaps, but they're still victims too. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of technically VERY clueless folks out there, and unless you've come up with some kind of magic pill they can take which suddenly makes them technically savvy, there are going to CONTINUE to be clueless types out there.

We need to simply make it very much harder for viruses and worms to infect those people's machines. Closing the attachment transmission window (especially for executable-type attachments) to just a sliver of what it is today will certainly help a great deal. SPF and other such schemes is unlikely to help very much at all, because those machines which DO get infected can send viruses, worms, and spam using their authenticated SMTP. It's outrageous and irresponsible that nearly everyone's mail clients freely accept and allow people to receive and click on things like PIF files, which are virtually NEVER used for anything good. .EXE files are likewise almost never legitimately needed in E-mail, and those who DO need it usually know why, and from whom they need to be able to receive such stuff. We will NEVER solve the spam problem if we don't get a major handle on the virus and worm problem, and A-V software is NOT the ultimate solution because it basically all works on the "blacklist" principle (i.e. "if we don't know about it (yet) then it's probably okay." While A-V software is a valuable component, and certainly helpful in disinfecting a machine once it's been infected, hopefully we can come up with a solution that's better than just go around forever swatting flies. Let's close the window!!

I am not sure if it can be closed. The latest viruses are being sent around in ZIP files encrypted with a password which people still manage to open and encryption bypasses virus scanning on gateway level. Unless we throw out the baby with the bathwater - forbid all attachments, virus writers will always find a way around whatever semi-blocking technique we come up with. Same for HTML - unless all HTML is forbidden, I do not see how any benefit can come from it. But forbidding HTML will close many existing use cases which many companies and people do every day.

The biggest problem with this approach is that while it might work in theory, in practice I do not think we can convince any sizable majority of Internet users to accept it. This is the main problem with any proposal - aside from the idea itself, it must also be marketed and be convincing enough to be acceptable.

However, if you want to take a shot at it and write up a BCP document as a short Internet draft, go ahead. There is definatly a good use of some attachment blocking such as .EXE files.

I don't want to see any solutions that result in some "authority" deciding

what one can and cannot send.

Right, only community consensus should be applied.   It is doable.

I hope so.

We must account for a possibility of a community system being subverted. Any system that does not account for that will be no better than an authority. There was a couple research papers floating around that try to address the same problem in P2P networks - the problem is solvable if it is taken into account.

Yakov