Re: [Asrg] Re: Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP? (various)

2004-04-20 00:53:58
However, if you want to take a shot at it and write up a BCP document as
a short Internet draft, go ahead. There is definatly a good use of some
attachment blocking such as .EXE files.

It's important to understand that my scheme DOES NOT REQUIRE any kind of
"official standard" (and in fact, there are advantages to there NOT being a
single implementation of the concept net-wide).  The way it's implemented can
actually be a nice "product differentiation" feature of application software
vendors offering E-mail clients or antispam filtering products.  This is
actually another good advantage of my approach.

I wasn't calling for an "official standard" only a document :)

What kind of formalities do I need to adhere to to produce such "a document"?

If you are convinced that your idea is good,

I am!!!

than write it up and promote it!

I've been discussing it at various places, besides just here, including a
sequence of commentary on Ziff-Davis' PC Magazine discussion forum in a thread
called "Stopping Spam".

There are about 46 messages in that thread so far, fairly worth reading I
think.
 It includes a lot of discussion about SPF-type and other SMTP-authentication
approaches.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.