Re: [Asrg] E-postage

2004-04-25 14:57:17
...Now, lets say hypothetically speaking that all ISPs would charge their
customers extra for lets say more than 1000 emails/day.

The problem is that the number will shrink, and shrink, and shrink, until you
are charged for EVERY E-mail.

At which point I'll declare myself an ISP and send directly.

Actually, that won't happen, because the ISP market is a lot more
competitive than the phone market.

And, just as the oligopoly reduces the number of independent small
local ISPs and things are inexorably consolidating in the hands of
folks like Comcast and SBC and Verizon et al, you're going to have a
bunch of big companies which divvy up the market between them and
without anything like genuine competition.

And for a $250/month colo machine (or likely a lot cheaper), I'll
become the email provider of choice for a few thousand people at $1
each, making a huge profit for me, and cutting their email charges
down to $1/month.

 We're seeing the resulting abuse TODAY with unjustified rate hikes
based on flimsy arguments... where they're jacking up prices just
because THEY CAN.  :-(((

In how competitive a market?

Seth