[Asrg] Death, taxes and E-Postage.

2004-04-28 10:04:26

  One way to lower the number of messages is to aggregate the costs
per ISP over time.  e.g. Rather than accounting for each transaction,
account for N transactions between you and ISP X over Y hours.

  The real charges can then be based on differentials, and not on
absolute numbers.  "You're charging me $1000 for my mail, but I'm
charging you $900 for mail you sent to me, so I've only got to pay you
$100."

Sure we could do clearing. Any idea what it would take to set up
such a system?

The actual figures would be rather different and go through a
clearing center:

You used $900 worth of mail services during the billing period
You provided $1000 worth of mail services during the billing period

Charge for services used         $918.00
Payment of services rendered    -$980.00
Billing Fee                       $50.00
FCC connection surcharge          $21.00
ACC intentional fee               $12.23
Common fund                       $10.00
Technology fee                    $19.00

AMOUNT DUE                        $50.23

If you think otherwise take a look at your cellphone bill or your cable
bill.

Oh and if you are a private individual you would also owe taxes on the $980
but you could not offset the $918 you paid. The $980 is income, you can only
offset the fees that were necessarily incurred in order to earn that income.
You might arguably claim the $112.23 in charges but only if they were on the
incomming.

So you would actually be out of pocket $343.00 + 50.23 = 393.23 assuming a
35% tax rate.

        Phill