Re: [Asrg] Death, taxes and E-Postage.

2004-04-28 15:55:44

Because the latter would require an extra real-time transaction where
the former may or may not?

On April 28, 2004 at 17:09 bill(_dot_)mcinnis(_at_)messagelevel(_dot_)com (Bill
Mcinnis) wrote:
Regardless of which route you go, you need to
establish some sort of message level info in a queryable form,
something will need to keep track of who sent what, from where.
Once you have set that up, why not just use that check to validate
if a message came from where it said it did, by going back to the
purported originating system and see if they have the origination
record.
All that needs to be done from there is to set up a local database
to store your origination records, and a module to communicate
server to server (or to the central database) to check it.  A system can be
set up to store records
for small mailers (law firsm, etc) who choose not to do that for themselves.

bill mcinnis

From: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org>
Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:07:37 -0400

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
Sure we could do clearing. Any idea what it would take to set up
such a system?

 A fair bit, which is why I was concentrating on the "conceptual"
portion.  "If we did it, ignoring the costs, it would look a lot like
system FOO, so why don't we just do FOO from the start, and avoid the
costs?"

The actual figures would be rather different and go through a
clearing center:

 Not necessarily.  Clearing centers are used when independent parties
wish to exchange information through an accredited service.  On the
net, people can talk to each other directly, without using an
accreditation service for each transaction.

 e.g. I don't need to contact Verisign to check someones credentials,
if I see that their certificate is signed by Verisign.

 In a theoretical e-postage system, parties can sign messages
indicating consent to nullify mutual "costs" for e-postage.  Those
costs don't have to be real money, they can be e-postage tokens.  The
only need for a central clearing house is then to deal with the final
portions of the costs which aren't mutually negated.

 But again, if such a system is set up, the end result of e-postage
is pretty much a central accreditation service.  So why not just set
up an accreditation service, and stop the pretense that e-postage is
useful?

 Alan DeKok.

Checked for SPAM and email fraud by MessageLevel.
Guarantee the authenticity of your email.
(http://www.messagelevel.com)
Version 1 / Released April 26, 2004