Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-04-30 06:52:31
At 12:23 PM +0100 4/30/04, Tony Finch wrote:
One comment:

Section 2.2. MUST Have the Same Criteria for Listing and Delisting.

This rule appears to be saying the wrong thing, when you consider sections
2.5 ... 2.7 which specify other less strict ways of being delisted.

Perhaps 2.2 should say "Failing to meet the criteria for listing MUST be
sufficient grounds for delisting".

I don't think that even makes sense. Neither has routinely been true of most widely-used DNSBL's. The clearest example of an almost completely non-controversial and extremely useful list that comes nowhere near symmetry in listing and delisting is the CBL. Listing and delisting are not simply asymmetric, but orthogonal: addresses go one for acting in ways that are common to compromised machines that emit spam, and delisting occurs purely for the asking.

In many lists historically (notably the MAPS RBL and the Spamhaus SBL) the apparent delisting criteria have been quite a bit less than failing to meet the listing criteria, particularly for escalated listings. On the other side, it has been my experience in maintaining private blacklists that they tend in practice to be tilted the other way, with listings being based on rather minimal indication of a problem and delistings requiring not just an end to the triggering behavior, but some sort of assurance that it will not recur and that there is a positive benefit to delisting. My own explanation for this covering my own local blacklist is at http://www.scconsult.com/scbldetails.html, with the learest bit on that abpout 2/3 of the way down the page. I know that this document is not aimed at private blacklists and that private and public are inherently different, but it is worth considering that multiple varieties of blacklist seem to reliably fail to meet a standard of symmetry.

In the end, a requirement for symmetry in a BCP doesn't really have any meaning. Existing lists are not managed that way in practice, but it is a fairly simple matter of formal logic to change their published criteria without changing actual practice so that there is formal symmetry. For example, the CBL could define its listing criteria as having acted like a compromised spam source more recently than having had a removal requested or a listing timeout. IOW: take the practical delisting criteria, negate them, and add them to the listing criteria. I believe that since Section 2.2 is not actually practiced in spirit recognizably anywhere, but that it could be formally met without any change in practice and simple adoption of more convoluted formal criteria. In short, Section 2.2 does not express 'best current practice' in any sense.

I think it also may be better to approach the blacklist issue from a model focused on process rather then one concentrated on criteria. Every listing has a trigger event, and while that event may be triggering an evaluation of criteria, it may well be (as it seems to be with the CBL) that the event itself carries all the necessary information to evaluate the listing criteria, and that a delisting cannot possibly be a logical reverse of a listing. For example, one might want to list machines that have been seen to HELO with the IP address of the server to which they are connecting. That is grossly incorrect behavior that is done fairly frequently by spam-sending cracked machines. It is also a very good predictor of future spam from the same machine without the telltale bogus HELO, because the usual mode of compromise includes an open proxy on the machine, making it open to spammers of all intelligence levels and a wide range of HELO choices. It is logically impossible to reverse that basis for a listing: what is done is done. I believe that it makes more sense to recommend that lists define (as far as possible) their listing and delisting *processes* clarly, and forget about recommending some sort of symmetry for criteria.

(Incidentally, I bring up the CBL for examples because I believe that by any measurable standard it is by far the best DNSBL ever published, and that any BCP which essentially defined it as mismanaged would be making a very harmful mistake.)

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com