Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-03 21:39:47

On May 3, 2004 at 15:21 matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com (Matthew Elvey) wrote:
In general, it seems like the authors don't have much respect for the
tireless *volunteer* BL maintainers and need to spend more time thinking
about things from the POV of the BL maintainers.

I think one of the worst features of BLs are that they're often run by
volunteers who can then feel sorry for themselves when they get in
over their heads.

But so long as that's disclosed I have no problem with volunteer BLs
existing, per se, not my point. I just don't think the fact that
they're (often) volunteer staffed should be grounds to give them a lot
of slack on BCP.

The problem is there's too much potential for damage and chaos, and
being able to say "well we're not being paid anyhow" isn't really
something very good to codify. Imagine if volunteer MD's said oh well,
we weren't paid anyhow, sorry about the botched surgery, go warn your
friends not to use us anymore...

Free software is one thing, but something like a BL has some non-zero
potential to do significant damage if poorly run, particularly if
suddenly poorly run (it was great until finals week!)

I'd've skipped saying something so obvious but there it was right in
that message, "respect for the tireless *volunteer* BL maintainers".

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*