Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-04 17:10:35

  2.10. Shutdowns MUST Be Done in a Graceful Fashion.
I suggest a specific result code be codified to represent [urgent action needed by admin, e.g. this list has shut down, etc.]

We tried to avoid codifying a specific shutdown procedure. We would hope to see that appear in an RFC, rather than in a BCP. If that happens we could reference said RFC.

Do you mean a descendant of http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-00.txt or some additional RFC?

Outlines for orderly shutdown of DNSBL's have been composed and posted publicly in 3 waves over the past 3 years (unfortunately in the first 2 cases, AFTER operators have listed the entire net to drive away users) and it is not a complicated matter or really a very controversial issue, it's just quite specific. It boils down to a method for shutting down any zone: add a long-TTL NS record for the zone into the parent zone with a RHS of either "." or a name in the parent zone with a long-TTL A record with a RHS of either '.' or to an address in 127/8 other than 127.0.0.1.

The only reason that orderly shutdown has ever been an issue is that the most noisily terminated DNSBL's have been run by people who sadly have been clueless about DNS. There's no need for a complex dance of special entries in-zone alerting users to the death of a DNSBL, giving way to eventually just going dead or listing the entire net.

Yes, I remember the long discussions well. This would be *great* to have in the BCP (or perhaps RC, perhaps better expressed: with [counter-]examples.) It would have saved a lot of grief, methinks.

[And a bunch of other technical BCP that I (elvey) would also strongly like to see added - good stuff.]