Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-04 16:56:32
Barry Shein wrote:
If we think of them as a kind of centrally administered boycott then
it's practically a grassroots political kind of activity. Is that kind
of thing often codified in IETF docs? Would the IETF produce, e.g.,
BCPs for running Wikis or Blogs?

I am not addressing the political aspect of your question, only the blogs/wikis one. Blacklists are used on an Internet-wide scale between multiple systems, and can be within the scope of the IETF. Blogs and Wikis generally do not interoperate with other systems and are not necessarly in scope. However, the inter-system parts of the blogs such as RSS may be within IETF scope as demonstrated by the existance of the ATOM list at IMC.

HOWEVER, in any case this document is not at IETF level at this point. Right now it is a research activity of the IRTF, and appears to be well within the charter of this group. Whether this document actually makes it to the IETF, and gets approved by the IESG is an entirely different story. At this time, it fits within the charter of the ASRG.

Yakov
--
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com