Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-04 22:07:13
What happens when the ISP in question refuses to remove the
spammer(s) and you keep getting hit by their traffic?
If I know the IP address of the spammer and I am successfully
blocking their messages why should I care?

Because you probably won't continue to block their messages, once they
(for example) start spewing through the zombie armies.

As one simple example, I accept no mail from the great swaths of
address space that have no rDNS - yet I still routinely have occasion
to complain to the providers in question because they are supporting
spammers whose spam I get through other routes.

Think of it as a trade embargo, and it makes a lot more sense.
Again, trade embargos are the cause of a large number of wars.

I think in this case, a better analogy is that the war has already
started and we are trade-embargoing those friendly to the enemy.  (Of
course, like all analogies, this one is flawed; nevertheless, I think
it is less flawed than the one implicit in the single-quoted comment.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca