Re: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-04 15:22:15
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

[blocklists escalating]

That is an aggressive action, not a passive one.

It's still passive: you don't get an answer unless you ask.

If I know the IP address of the spammer and I am successfully blocking
their messages why should I care?

If you don't want to care, then you shouldn't use a blocklist that
expands listings.

If you want to help others, then you'd want to encourage ISPs to kick
off their spammers, even the spammers who aren't currently hurting
you.

Think of it as a trade embargo, and it makes a lot more sense.

Again, trade embargos are the cause of a large number of wars.

And blocklists are the "cause" of DDOS attacks.  That doesn't mean the
felonious DDOS attacks are justified, or the blocklists improper.

Seth