RE: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

2004-05-04 13:48:35

Looking at the BCP draft makes me feel like I'm watching a bunch of
cub scouts propose how to deal with Al Qaeda.

It is not clear to me whether you mean that the cub scouts are
the blacklists and the spammers Al Qaeda or the cub scouts are
the ASRG and the blacklists are Al Qaeda. Hyperbole asside,
either could be justified.

One of the most depressing things about the current situation
is the posturing of people who think that their macho attitudes
make them hawks.

The point about 'collateral damage' is not that it serves any
strategic purpose, it does not, all it does is to feed the egos
of the people who engage in it. It fails in the spam context
for the same reason that it failled in the military context.
Collateral damage forces parties who are natural allies to treat
you as the enemy.

There is a utility in certain very narrowly tailored blacklists.
But they should never attempt to list any address for any other
reason than it is a source of spam.

                Phill