Re: [Asrg] Are we allowed to extend the SMTP protocol?

2004-05-10 19:12:42
I received two copies of the list message, differing most notably in
their From: headers:

From: Bill Cole <grsa(_at_)billmail(_dot_)scconsult(_dot_)com>
From: Bill Cole
<grsa(_at_)vbillmail(_dot_)scconsult(_dot_)com(_dot_)cnri(_dot_)reston(_dot_)va(_dot_)us>

Perhaps someone is looping list mail back, mangling the From:?

Of course, you also run right in to issues of what blind people would
do.  If you think there are no blind people using email, you are
again quite completely wrong.

I even know two of them.  One I know better as a mud user, but he also
does email; he uses a speech synth.  The other one has a Braille
"display".

Or it could be a sound clip.

Deaf people.  Or people with a visual, but not auditory, comprehension
of the language in question (such as me, if the language were French).
Or, as someone pointed out upthread, people with _no_ comprehension of
the language you challenge in.

Anyone who can see and display a JPEG image can type back in a
character string as long as it sticks to a limited character set like
the mailsafe 64,

...but even that is severely limiting.  It assumes that the human is
still online when the message delivery is attempted (no more queueing
at and retrying by the sender's smarthost) and it assumes that the
person is using equipment capable of graphics.  For example, if I'm on
the road with my laptop, it would cut me out entirely.

It also assumes the human is willing to jump through your silly hoops,
something which runs counter to experience.

but identifying a sound is impossible to people with bad hearing and
probably to anyone who does not share a specific dialect with the
test administrator.

English is my mother tongue and I had someone forward me a soundclip (a
recording of the Powerpuff Girls intro - "Blossom, commander and the
leader, ..." - and I couldn't tell what Bubbles was being called until
I googled for the parts I could make out.

It took me years of listening to Manic Monday (Bangles) until I managed
to convert the sounds making up the line "kissin' Valentino by a
crystal-blue Italian stream" into a coherent sequence of words.

And I'm even less capable of playing sound clips than I am of
displaying images.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca