RE: [Asrg] We got some stinging criticism

2004-05-12 17:48:44

What is essential in meeting such dates with anything useful
is reducing
the scope of the effort and making choices that are easy to understand
and that seem very likely to do something useful.

You will probably find that the number of people disagreeing here is
similar to the number that would disagree on such issues as motherhood
apple pie etc.

Equally there is a point where the scope of effort is reduced to
the point where the work product does not have sufficient value.

If the IETF delivers a work product at the end of MARID that is
considered inadequate it will not be allowed a second chance.
The standard will be set in another forum.

Reducing the changes to the Internet to meet your personal
comfort level is not a sustainable strategy.

At worst, you are left with a new capability that has some utility.

That is far from the worst outcome possible here.

The Internet community was told spam was beneath the IETF for eight
years, then we were told that it was a long term research problem and
only after SPF or CallerID looked like succeeding without IETF
endorsement did anything happen.

If you can convince people that a simple solution will work
better that is one thing, if you are simply going to try to
protect a failed 20 year old protocol design then get a clue.
The time for procrastination and examining the fundamental
navel here passed four years ago.

                Phill