[Asrg] We got some stinging criticism

2004-05-07 00:50:15
People,

Larry Seltzer <http://www.eweek.com/author_bio/0,1772,a=2299,00.asp> is the Security Center Editor for E-week. He just wrote an article, http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1583421,00.asp, and he has some pretty stinging criticisms of us. In particular, he wrote:

The group is an outgrowth of the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG), <http://asrg.sp.am/> a part of the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF). <http://www.irtf.org/> The ASRG has produced a digital mountain of discussion but not a whole lot of consensus on actual solutions, and there's way too much topical variety and digression on the group's mailing list. All of this is perhaps why some folks went to the IETF asking to be saved from themselves and to have a standard put on the "railroad" track.

He also writes:

All of this leads me to believe that the group is moving far too fast. I agree with Wacker [Rand Wacker, director of product strategy at Sendmail Inc. - Jeff ] about real-world experimentation. Is it really necessary to have a standard so quickly, when we're so early in the real-world implementations of the major proposals? I wish we could wait to get more experience with them first.

I guess there is no pleasing some people - but it would be interesting to talk with him and ask him for advice.

Jeff