Re: [Asrg] Spam and IPv6

2004-05-19 16:08:30
On Wed, 19 May 2004, Jim Witte wrote:
  Does IPv6 add anything to the spam puzzle?  Because with IPv6, the
address space is so big that every person and his dog on Earth could
potentially have a separate address.  Would that make
tracking/controlling stuff easier?

Concievably is makes blacklisting harder. When address space is not a
scarce resource, it's likely to be easy to renumber your attack
machines. (Quite aside from the IPv6 goals of making renumbering easier)

Whitelisting wouldn't seem to change much.

I've speculated before that running an MTA on IPv6 only might greatly
reduce your incoming spam (and mail) until spammers decide to bother
with IPv6. Certainly the number of zombie hosts on v6 would be lower as
well - for now.

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
Mastery of UNIX, like