Re: [Asrg] Spam and IPv6

2004-05-19 17:24:41

On May 19, 2004 at 15:45 jswitte(_at_)bloomington(_dot_)in(_dot_)us (Jim Witte)
wrote:
   Does IPv6 add anything to the spam puzzle?  Because with IPv6, the
address space is so big that every person and his dog on Earth could
potentially have a separate address.  Would that make
tracking/controlling stuff easier?

Jim

Well, we could insist that everyone use an IPv6 address which is an
MD5 hash of their DNA (or at least an index into a table which holds
that info.)

I think we'd have to better understand address allocation policies and
procedures in a world where IPv6 was widely deployed.

For much of the life of DNS up until a few years ago we lived in the
illusion that a domain was something which could be tied back to an
owner of that domain, at least approximately, forgery notwithstanding.

I don't think that's true any longer and we have what appear to be
rogue registrars (possibly owned and operated by the spammers)
assigning domains with near-zero reality friction.

I could imagine similar things happening in a vast address space such
as IPv6, clouds of billions of addrs being routed in virtually
unaccountable ways.

Add in NAT and other forms of identity deconstruction and IPv6
addresses could become about as effervescent as a Tony Soprano cell
phone caller-id.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*