[Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-10 07:33:27
Markus Stumpf wrote:

Microsoft claims IPR (which they did even before the group
was chartered, btw, but everyone ignored it).

Not really,  May 20: draft-atkinson-callerid-00 published.
May 21: ASRG co-chair resigns.  May 22: IPR complaint filed.

We have a second trump card, we play ... SPF. Tataaaa.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with spf2.0/mailfrom as long as
you don't confuse it with the FUSSP.  In theory spf2.0/pra
could also make sense if they fix their "patented" algorithm
to read four mail headers for some common cases.

We still don't have "the anti spam solution", but hey,
who cares or realizes this.

I care.  Back to zero bounces / out-of-office / vacation /
challenges / broken NDRs / Symantec announcing its ignorance
to the e-mail world at large / etc. per day as it was in 2003.

Instead of 1000 useless mails caused by forgeries per day.
You need a modem account and a catch-all vanity host to feel
the difference.

everyone always says "this is the way to go", so nobody
asks where the way will really lead to.

Again not really.  I still like your MTAMARK idea, and it's
also very interesting to watch SURBL.  And even C/R systems
could work in combination with a spf2.0/mailfrom PASS.

                          Bye, Frank