Re: [Asrg] Re: SPF Abused by Spammers

2004-09-13 14:19:51
On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 07:57:39PM -0500, Joshua Baer wrote:
<>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Markus Stumpf wrote:

Please get your citation correct.
No I didn't, it was Daniel Feenberg

inbox (for the most part) and in the future will be a factor that causes
images or links in the email to be displayed normally when other
non-bonded messages will have their images and links munged by deafult.

Wow. What a marketing concept. This is something even Microsoft can learn
from. Either pay us or we will destroy your email.

Habeas has had their whitelist for quite some time and rumor has it that
with new management and direction we can expect new options from them in
the future. Goodmail has announced plans for a "postage" style model but
has not launched the service yet. Cloudmark and MailFrontier and others
have recently announced reputation services and newsletter registration
services. Projects such as GOSSIP have sprung up from the open-source
community. And there are a number of other projects in the works that
have not been announced yet.

Yeah ... after 30 minutes of querying tons of whitelists, blacklists,
reputation systems, acceditation systems, burning tons of CPU cycles
calculating hashs, signatures and verifying grocery bills that will be
used in C/R systems your mail will be eventually accepted if you didn't
miss to upgrade all 456876 systems to the new protocol versions.
SCNR.

In my opinion, we are about to see a paradigm shift in mail filtering -
from trying desperately to identify all the fraudulent mail and bad
senders to spending much less time and energy keeping track of the good
senders (who aren't trying to hide in the first place and will step
forward to certify their practices and be held accountable). Reliable,
well-maintained whitelists with detailed certification processes and
transparent dispute resolution procedures will bring a much-needed
dependability back to email deliverability.

This is there for ages, it is called PGP and S/MIME. Write an intelligent
MDA/MUA that helps you manage your personal accreditation and deploy the
use of PGP and S/MIME and you have a perfect criteria for your filters.
Ah, I remember, there was a problem we need intelligent MDAs/MUAs, but
all we get is
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2004/03/23.html
And we need some non broken software that stops mangling messages and
destroying signatures, by adding e.g. braindead trailers (in a not MIME
conform way).
But I agree, it is so much easier to write new broken software than to
fix existing broken software. I don't want to insult all programmers of
those new tools, but a good portion of the new tools will be broken.
That's simple statistics.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299