Re: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-14 16:52:18
Daniel Feenberg <feenberg(_at_)nber(_dot_)org> wrote:

I have another question - Even given that an ISP might not want to
close port 25 outbound from its dynamic address customers at the
router level, what advantage does SPF have over merely informing
MAPS/Spamhaus, etc of its dialup ranges?

Suppose I own cluebytwelve.com (I do), and I want to send mail "from
sethb(_at_)cluebytwelve(_dot_)com" from my home computer.  I can set up an SPF
record for cluebytwelve.com to specify that my current IP address has
that permission, completely independent of the ISP that provides
IP-level access.  That works well for me, even though the ISP doesn't
authorize my home machine to send directly email from "sethb(_at_)ISP".

Seth