RE: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-14 14:37:34
I have another question - Even given that an ISP might not
want to close
port 25 outbound from its dynamic address customers at the
router level,
what advantage does SPF have over merely informing
MAPS/Spamhaus, etc of
its dialup ranges?

[snip]

 Because the failure of SPF does not give you a 127.0.0.1.
You are in complete control of how you want to handle failures and even
successes.
We are leaving it up to the individual MTA.
I think that most (including me) would balk at the idea of putting all
this into a big pile administered by someone else.
Your definition of spam might be different than mine. But if we all had
to use the same pot, you or I would be forced to take someone else's
definition.

 For example, dialup ranges. Some of my customers are small businesses
with their entire business being run from home. Do I reject those
legitimate customers just because spammers use dialup accounts too?
Identify the bad by identifying their IP's, herd them to a corner by
blocking delivery of mail via those IP's, let them live there or squash
them. Spam herding. Not going to happen over night.

Regards,
Damon Sauer