RE: [Asrg] Filtering spam by detecting 'anti-Bayesian' elements?

2004-09-22 00:28:39

I agree with you on the effectiveness of statistical filters for
personal use.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them for corporate use. My
observations are that most corporate email is internal and that only a
relatively small portion of employees need to receive work-related mail
from external sources - in particular sales, marketing and other outward
facing staff. So for small to medium companies it works great.

Large multinations and ISPs are a different matter altogether...

Brian Azzopardi

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:37 AM
To: laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com
Cc: ASRG
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Filtering spam by detecting 'anti-Bayesian'
elements?

You're completely right on all this affirmations. What I really wanted
to say is that statistical filters are very, very good for personnal
use, but not for corporate structures. And most of the time I hear about

bayesian/statistical filters, this particular point is left...

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
mailto:Jose-Marcio(_dot_)Martins(_at_)ensmp(_dot_)fr

This mail was checked for malicious code and viruses
checking, exploit detection, threats analysis and anti-virus for
Exchange & SMTP servers. Viruses, Trojans, dangerous
attachments and offensive content are removed automatically.
Key features include: multiple virus engines; email content and
attachment checking; an exploit shield; an HTML threats engine;
a Trojan & Executable Scanner; and more.

In addition to GFI MailSecurity, GFI also produces the
GFI MailEssentials anti-spam software, the GFI FAXmaker
fax server & GFI LANguard network security product ranges.
For more information on our products, please visit
http://www.gfi.com. This disclaimer was sent by
GFI MailEssentials for Exchange/SMTP.