[Asrg] Re: A plea for more hierarchy in DNS

2004-11-01 09:42:57
On 30 OCT 2004, Peter J. Holzer said:

Last time I looked, MTAmark needed only a couple of TXT records. No
change of DNS or BIND necessary.

Ah, thank you Peter.  The light comes on.

To be really honest, I'm small fry.  I don't do my own DNS -- I let my
registrar do it.  And the interface they have doesn't seem to allow for
TXT records.

You aren't the only one. My ISP doesn't delegate reverse DNS for /29
networks, so I couldn't implement MTAmark for my home network myself but
need my ISP to do that. (OTOH, maybe that isn't that bad - let ISPs
publish MTA=no indications for their whole range and customers who want
to run their own MTA have to explicitely tell their ISP).

This is why the light took so long.  I read the spec but didn't get the
part about the TXT records for reverse lookups being the only valid ones.
That means I can't set them myself, but must rely on the controller of my
address range to do it (which might NOT be my ISP).  This does not seem
onerous; I'd expect them to be eager to cut the spam transiting their
network.  I would certainly be willing to pay a fee to allow my mailserver
access to the network.  Some of the ISP's (particularly those in Asia and
Latin America) just don't seem to care what their network emits -- they
take the money and turn a blind eye.  I have whole countries on my
blacklists now.  What a pain.

The problem is that SPAM is business -- the big spammers would find the
maximum fee I'm willing to pay chump change (throw away money).