Re: MTAmark deployment (was: [Asrg] Re: A plea for more hierarchy in DNS)

2004-11-08 19:25:09
On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 12:19:44AM +0100, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
Well, that's a a bit better than a similar test I did in July, but there
clearly aren't enough MTAmark records yet to bother implementing filters
based on them.

We have added MTAMARK records to some hundred of our ASP mailservers ;-)

Even worse, while the MTA=yes records seem correct, the MTA=no records
are a bit suspicious:

The most I have seen were wildcard records. Some of them said
    'no DNS yet'
some gave all kinds of information, some had SPF records ;-)

I also talked to the postmaster of another Austrian ISP (who happens to
be responsible for 5 of the 6 MTA=yes records) and he said they would
only publish MTA=yes records for their servers, but no MTA=no records for
their dial-up and DSL customers. Which doesn't seem to be very useful to me.

It is useful enough ;-)
We do greylisting and disable greylisting in cases there is a MTA=yes
record. Works very good for connections between our customers or with
e.g. utanet.at servers.

There is native support for MTAMARK in the current sendmail versions.
I hope to have a qmail interface/patch ready by the end of this week.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299