Re: [Asrg] Where I think we are...

2004-12-20 04:09:47
Barry Shein wrote:

The very concept of the internet has been seriously compromised.

This is why the spammers are effecting a sea change in the operation
of the internet, ending for example end-to-end services such as being
able to deliver your own email w/o use of an intermediary "official"
server (aka port 25 blocking.)

[snip...]

Put another way, it's not the spam which is a problem, it's what makes
it impossible to stop, short of abandoning fundamental assumptions
about the medium, which is the problem.

Barry, I think you make a very good point. It may be that the end-to-end
arguments have been over-applied. I know that this is a quasi-religious
matter for some of us, but I don't believe that many accept that "Just
Deliver the Bits" would be an acceptable basis for *application* behaviour
in "today's internet".

We're seeing more decision-making (throttling, DNSBL, content-filtering
etc) deployed in the email infrastructure.
We see an increasing trend to closed mail systems.
I can't see any possibility of a less hindered end-to-end mail transport
system that doesn't include an end-to-end consent (or permission)
component. This seems to have been side-lined (as a "hard problem"),
leaving us using a less reliable MTS, with which it may be more difficult
to build a consent-component than otherwise.

Where do we go from here? Does it matter?